Thursday 21 June 2018

The Things We'll Do for Plates...

As you may, or may not, know - I live in Atlantic Canada. Nova Scotia to be specific. Population wise we're a very small part of the country (sort of like a medium sized city in the US - seriously!)

I live in the little purple province on the right... population 942,000

All this to say that our source of dishes and vintage is much smaller too, so you'll often catch me drooling over the possibilities found on the US eBay site... And there are so, so many... Unfortunately the shipping costs are often more (sometimes twice as much) as the item you want to purchase.

Well, we have a daughter living in Columbus and we had a visit planned for late April. About a week before we left the lightbulb went on in my brain... I could have things shipped to her and bring them home with me!!!

We were flying so I was limited. I had found a set of six green glass plates with a beautiful etched design for $15 US. They were so pretty and so cheap! I figured I could get them home safely, as long as they were delivered to our daughter in time.


To me they were just pretty green glass dishes, which would go wonderfully with pink, making my favourite colour combination. The fact that I had no pink china was not of consequence at this point...

But I have a habit of doing research on everything as a result of my writing jobs, and I googled 'green glass plates' just for fun.

Who Knew?!! (most everybody but me) They were Depression Glass! Federal Georgian Lovebirds pattern. These dishes were made in the US and Canada during the 20th century depression era to provide inexpensive and attractive dishes for the general population.

The plates arrived in Columbus before we did, and we brought them home safely in our luggage (claiming them of course).

But the story doesn't end here. When I put them together with my white dishes I KNEW I needed one more piece to make the setting work. Back to eBay... found them! 11 berry dishes in the same pattern, asking $55!



I'm not a bargainer, it's just not in my make-up, but I didn't have the $55US at the moment so I crossed my fingers that no one else would buy them for a week, until I did. Then I noticed a little place where you could 'make an offer'... what the heck - they would never see my face - I wouldn't be talking to them in real time...

So I did! An almost rude offer of $25US... and they accepted!!! (See Carol squealing with glee and dancing around the room) Again I shipped it to my daughter and asked her to bring them home when she visited in October. But sweet, understanding woman that she is, she sent them home for Mother's Day.  Thank you Jacqueline!

And you know what else I discovered during my search? They made Depression dishes in PINK too!!!


Next time I won't write so much and I'll show you my Depression Glass table setting.
Thanks for stopping by!

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every one of your comments, and they mean a lot to me. I will try to answer any questions you may have concerning the posts. Thanks for taking the time to write!